Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Thanksgiving Day Weekend


                Last week Thursday the 25th was Thanksgiving Day, and I ate so much that I was full for the whole weekend. I had my thanksgiving dinner plus my boyfriend’s family thanksgiving dinner. It sure was a fulfilling day but first let me tell how my weekend all started and did it start out crappy.


                Wednesday was the night my boyfriend, Mike, and I wanted to go home but work got in the way.  I had to  work till 6pm and Mike worked till 10pm, which I guess gave me some time to pack things and get things ready but it still was pretty late for a 3 hour drive home. We did sit here thinking if it was a good idea to drive home or not, because first of all, there was bad weather and obviously it would be real late till we got home. So it was either we go home tonight in slush and not-so-bad weather or not go home, because we sure didn’t want to drive in the morning with all that ice that was going to be on the roads. Well, we both decided we really wanted Mikes’ grandma Jackie’s dumplings and my mom’s good ole’ turkey. So we packed our stuff into the trunk of the car and drove home Wednesday night at 11 o’clock at night.

                The roads started out pretty good, it was just super cold out and it was just starting to sleet a little bit. The further north we went, the more snow we saw and the more slush we were driving in. Before we left La Crosse, we did stop at Kwik Trip for obviously gas, but for some caffeine and munchies, because we both knew it was going to be a long drive home, plus I also got some hot chocolate, and that was amazing. Surprisingly we were pretty wide awake for the drive, we talked and told jokes the whole ride, we talked about everything, normally we don’t have this long of a conversation in one day but we sure did keep each other busy.

                After three and a half hours, we finally arrived to my house which was about 3 in the morning. Back from where I live, there was snow everywhere, we got about 8 inches of snow. Though it was a hassle to drive on my road, Mike had to also drive back to his place, which was like 20 minutes from where I live. I told him to call once he got home just so I know he made it and that he was fine, because the roads here were terrible. While he was driving I was getting ready for bed, by the time I got into my warm comfy bed it was already 4am. So after he gave me a quick call, I’m sure we both slept like babies.

                The next morning I got up at 10 and got ready to head over to Mikes. His family was having Thanksgiving Dinner for lunch time and my family was for supper time, simply because my dad and brother wanted to hunt most of the day. I got to Mikes about 11:30am and went to his grandmas at noon, talked it up with some of his relatives and then ate. We had dumplings and gravy, stuffing, turkey, and some other side dishes. Also had dessert of Raspberry Tort and there was pumpkin pie, but I hate pumpkin pie.  After couple hours hanging out there, Mike and I went to my place. There, we had turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, sweet corn and delicious buns. And the dessert my mom made was Snickers Pie, my favorite. Overall I had great food all in one day, but I also know I gained another few pounds from all the food. My Thanksgiving Day was very eventful.

                Though I didn’t get to stay home for the weekend, Friday morning, Mike and I drove back to La Crosse because sadly we both had to work for Black Friday along with I had to work Saturday too. After three long days, I finally got some rest on Sunday to re-cooperate for this week. Last weekend I was what you can say “a very busy bee” and was happy to eat some amazing food on turkey day! I hope everyone else’s Thanksgiving Day weekend was fun and less hectic than mine. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow sounds like quite the thanksgiving weekend, happy everything went pretty smoothly for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a lot of travel Brittney!! If you are like me however, thanksgiving food is well worth the road miles. I would drive across the country for the opportunity to kick it with my brothers and sisters, and I would snow shoe across the globe for my mom's thanksgiving spread!

    ReplyDelete